Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Mercy Seat



It began when they come took me from my home
And put me in Death Row
Of which I am totally innocent, you know
(Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds)
I'm a big fan of US dramas. It probably started in earnest with Twin Peaks (drama or surreal wandering - you decide) but dates way back to the cop shows of my youth, Starsky & Hutch, Petrocelli and so on. X-files, 24, CSI, Lost - the higher concept the better. It's called escapism.
But Prison Break is the one that I wish away the weeks for at present. To summarise: Lincoln Burrows has been put on Death Row for the murder of the Vice-President's brother. His younger brother, Michael Scofield, has a plan to break him out, which involves him getting put away into the same prison with the blueprints of the prison tattooed over his body. Suffice to say that Michael is a bit of an overachiever. But it's not that simple - he needs to enrol help amongst the cons. On top of that, things never run smoothly - and outside the prison a conspiracy is emerging, and it's up to Lincoln's ex, Veronica (luckily a lawyer) to investigate.
How they will manage to maintain the suspense is uncertain, and the news that a 2nd season has been commissioned does not yet fill me with glee, but at present it is unmissable. There has only been one cliche "ouch" moment so far for me (spoiler in white): the last minute phone-call of the judge to reprieve Lincoln from the clutches of the electric chair - no!!!
Even amidst the sadness of yesterday I looked forward to the episode. Here's how to make an origami crane (that will sound like a real non-sequitor if you haven't seen it!). Till next week.
Into the mercy seat I climb, my head is shaved, my head is wired....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home