Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Rage Hard

Larry David, from HBO

I love "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Actually I hate "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I watch from behind my hands, cringing at every embarrassing moment. To the uninitiated, Larry David was the co-creator of Seinfeld, but in this series he plays a version of himself, in wildly exaggerated and slightly offensive form. Think Basil Fawlty living in LA. The show is somewhat improvised and relies on a wonderful cast, but follows a general story arc. This arc can take time to develop - Series 4, in which Larry is cast in the live musical verson of "The Producers", is particularly satisfying in this respect.
I love "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and will cringe along to it as long as it continues its high standards. I love the fact it is on HBO and is allowed to be the way it is. Thank you to More4 in the UK for showing it (and also the Beeb for the early series). Any Brit who sneers at US comedy should lie down in shame before this. Ricky Gervais is a huge fan, I'm glad to say.
The consequences when Larry files an obituary for his "beloved aunt" make me laugh to this day, and makes me thank HBO (or the powers that be) that censorship hasn't quite invaded every corner of our society. Hoorah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home